Relocation is a complicated exercise in coordination. We get local Katy home sellers calling us or submitting their house info on this website every week saying “I’m relocating and need to sell my house in Katy“. The great thing is that we’re able to help a good many of those sellers sell their house quickly (because we’re actively buying houses in Katy TX right now!).
There’s an insane amount of details to keep together, plus the stress of whatever is making you move in the first place – often it’s a new job or a sick relative, but the true need to move always comes with a dramatic change.
So how do you make the most out of a difficult situation?
Don’t Agonize – Organize.
You don’t want to be in a situation where you end up paying to own and maintain a vacant house for 2 years. That gets expensive and it doesn’t have to be that way. Unless you like paying Texas property taxes and dealing with all of the repairs and pests of a vacant home.
Although the market is relatively stable right now in Katy, things can change in the blink of an eye. We’ve heard some serious horror stories over the past couple of decades.
So how do you make the right choices when you’re relocating and need to sell your Katy TX house fast?
Relocating And Need To Sell My House Fast In Katy… Your Options And Steps
- Find out what your house is worth: To do this you can contact a reputable real estate agent or connect with us and we can give you a no cost no obligation valuation on your property. J&A Home Buyers has several realtors on our team so if our offer doesn’t get you the best terms we will gladly refer you to one of our realtors who can help you get top dollar. Once you know what the house may be able to sell for in the current market… that sets the basis for how long you may or may not be able / willing to sell the house.
- Decide how fast you need to sell your house after you relocate: This is a biggie. I’ve seen professionals who moved out of state for a job who had their house on the market for over a year before selling it for a much much lower price than they hoped. Decide how fast you need to sell your house… and how long you’re willing to keep making 2 mortgage payments, insurance payments, etc.
- Find a solid real estate agent BEFORE you start packing boxes: Get the ball rolling early so you don’t waste any time. If you would like to talk with one of our realtors connect with us. Every month that you wait or every month that it takes to sell the house… costs you money. Or if you don’t want to use a real estate agent to sell… we are a reputable local house buyer and we’d love to make you a fast-fair all cash offer. Just fill out the form through this link to get started >>
- Calculate the value of selling your house fast vs. “waiting it out” for a dream price: We all want to sell our houses for as much as possible. But one thing many people forget to do is come up with the $ amount of how much it costs you to hold onto this house. The costs involved include the mortgage (which if you’re still within the first 10 years of the mortgage, the majority of your payment interest and not hardly going to principal at all), insurance, taxes, utilities, maintenance, etc.Lets say you want to sell your house for $200,000… and your mortgage payment is $1,200/mo, taxes $200/mo, $100/mo for insurance, and $100/mo for maintenance (lawn maintenance, repairs while you’re gone, etc.).Those expenses add up to $1,600/mo in “non equity building” expenses.If it takes you 7 months to sell that house through a real estate agent for that $200,000… it cost you $11,200 in DIRECT “holding costs” + you had to pay $12,000 in real estate agent fees (assuming 3% for the buyers agent and 3% for the sellers agent).Totaling $23,200 in LOST money. That doesn’t even account for the value of your time, your stress in thinking about that property sitting on the market, the opportunity cost of what you could have been doing with that extra money during those 7 months, etc. So the real cost to you was likely closer to $30,000.But, what if you were to sell your house next week and avoid all of that? Even if you sold for a discount below the retail price (lets say… $175,000)… you’re still ahead of the game by selling the house NOW at a discount to a home buyer like our company vs. 7 months later at full price (and paying holding costs and real estate agent fees).Make sense? Check out our House Selling Showdown Realtor vs Investor to give you better insights.
- Take action!: Whatever you decide… decide and take action. If you want to go the real estate agent route, great! Find a reputable local Katy TX agent. At J&A Home Buyers several of our staff are also realtors so we can help you assess your options and find a path to maximize your profit and meet your timing needs. We may buy your house directly from you or we may help you list it to get you top dollar.
If you’ve got a lot of time on your side and a really great property, you might want to test the market by offering it out at a high price. There’s a small chance someone might just fall in love and be willing to overpay – people do crazy things for love. A lot of this will depend on your local market so talking to someone connected to your market can provide a lot of insight.
Most properties are pretty average, in reality. They tend to be like the other houses around them, in the same way that people who live near each other tend to have a lot in common too. So unless your property is truly exceptional, as in magazine-quality extra-special, you won’t capture the most money in the market by pricing at the highest point.
Another option you can explore is to list your property for sale and for rent at the same time to see what happens first. If you choose this route it will help you to have a solid property management company to support you in the process. We can put you in touch with some great companies in the area.
In certain situations, we may partner with property owners to help secure lease option agreements where highly qualified purchasers rent the property for an agreed time before buying.
In other cases, we may help renegotiate a loan, help make monthly payments or conduct a short sale with a bank.
We love helping people solve complicated problems. Keeping a solution based mindset has helped us gain referrals and keep our business running long term.
Creative solutions can bridge the gap to get you where you need to be.
What about all of my stuff?
Relocating and planning a move can be a really stressful event. I have moved dozens of times and every time I tell my self this is the last time. That being said there are some good tips in this article I found and wanted to share them with you as they were a life saver for me. If there are belongings that you don’t need or would rather leave behind we can help you get in touch with local clean up companies or if we buy your house we will take that property AS-IS and that means no sweeping, no trash haul off, truly AS-IS! We have great relationships with contractors and clean up companies in Katy that can help us handle any mess.
What are the leading drivers for housing value in Katy?
Housing prices in Katy, TX are lead by supply and demand. One of the factors that has helped Katy stay strong throughout the economic downturns is that it is exposed to multiple industries. Some of the top industries in the area are Oil & Gas, Health Care, Education, Retail & Hospitality, Manufacturing & Distribution etc. Over time Katy and the greater Houston area have diversified the industries that serve the area and there have continued to be a healthy demand for houses in the area. Even in 2015-2016 when we saw a major decline in Oil & Gas employment Katy continued to expand and prices for homes increased. This has helped many people who are relocating to leverage the equity in their homes to sell quickly and make a good profit.
Who Is J&A Home Buyers And How Can We Help You If You’re Relocating And Need To Sell In Katy?
We’re investors. We support our families and beautify neighborhoods by buying houses from Katy home owners who need to sell fast for one reason or another.
The types of sellers who tend to work with us include people who…
- Need to sell fast (we can close in as little as 7 days if you need us to)
- Don’t want to hassle with listing a property with an agent
- Don’t want to pay real estate agent fees
- Can’t sell their house for one reason or another (we buy houses in as-is condition)
- … or a variety of other reasons
But we’re passionate people, and we believe in the Katy community.
We’re honest and straightforward.
We’ll quote you a fair price, and we can close fast with cash.
If you’re prepared to wait and can hire professionals to help, you can manage the sale of your property from a distance. In certain circumstances that risk can pay off.
We’re happy to help you find answers to your toughest questions about your Katy real estate, so please feel free to call us at 281-219-8822 and chat with us anytime.